You know when you have one of those moments when you read or hear about something that just totally changes the way you will live and think? Well, I just recently had one of those moments when I watched a video called “The Story Of Stuff”.
This well produced video exposes the truths about our consumerist society and the devestation that it is wreaking on our planet. To be honest, up until a little while ago, this stuff was the last thing on my mind. I guess I didn’t see how it really affected my little world so I just didn’t pay much attention. But lately God has been teaching me so much about stewardship in so many areas. I believe this video really speaks to our responsibility to be good stewards of this amazing planet that the Lord entrusted to us. (Note: I do not necessarily agree with everything that is stated on the video. Annie tends to put down the government, however, I do see the point she is making.)
In Genesis 1:26 the Lord says, “…Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all creatures that move along the ground.” God’s original mandate to us was to take care of the planet that He so generously entrusted to us & that we would be fruitful and fill it. For some reason, I just never made the connection between this verse and how I should live my life today. But the truth is, God gave us a specific responsibility that we should not take lightly.
You can search their website (www.thestoryofstuff.com) and discover ways that you can take care of this earth…our home…which God entrusted to us.
Some of the practical things which I hope to do is:
2. Switch to cloth diapers. (I can seriously fill up a whole trash can in like a week with both boys. Plus I heard that it takes like 10 or more years for a diaper to decompose. I hope to post more about this in a future post. Also it will save so much money for us which we could use to pay down our auto loan or be a blessing. Also, these days, it is SO MUCH EASIER to cloth diaper…and they are kinda cute!)
3. Live simply. Wanting more stuff can really just takeover your life. When you want more, it generally means you are unhappy with what you already have been blessed with. I really want to evaluate my need vs. wants list and be a better steward in that area. Now please don’t misunderstand me, I am not implying we live a legalistic lifestyle where we we only buy things we simply need, but rather that we look at “living simply” as a life principle.
4. Try to walk more. This is not only good for our earth, but obviously for our health. Plus, if you have small children, sometimes it is the only thing that will burn off their intense energy!
5. Buy cloth grocery bags. They are super cheap these days!
6. Spread the word! I hope to make a impact through this blog by sharing all the things God has been teaching me.